Last updated on August 4th, 2021 at 10:43 pm
This Breakfast Stromboli Recipe is perfect for those who love a warm and hearty breakfast for tailgating or anytime! This meal is a meat lover’s dream.
Breakfast Stromboli features sausage, bacon, and ham, along with egg and cheese, all spiral wrapped in a delicious, thin Italian crust. Hungry yet?
My most requested tailgate food item, this Stromboli delights tailgate crowds all season long.
By the way, if you love tailgate breakfasts, be sure to check out our Ultimate Tailgate Breakfast Sandwiches recipe.
Triple Crown Breakfast Stromboli Recipe
Stromboli Dough Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp white sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cups warm water
- 8-10 eggs
- 1 package bacon bits
- 1-2 pounds pork sausage
- ½ pound diced ham or sliced deli ham
- 1-2 pounds cheese of choice we usually use provolone or mozzarella
- pinch parsley
Making the Stromboli Dough
- In your mixer, add 1/4 cup of water, packet of yeast, and sugar. Allow to rise for 5 - 10 minutes, until bubbly.
- Add the rest of the water and the olive oil.
- Mix in the salt. Then add the flour and garlic salt.
- Mix well.
- Knead the dough for 2 - 5 minutes. Allow to rest and rise until doubled - about 30 minutes.
Preparing the Stromboli Fillings
- Fry or bake the eggs for your breakfast Stromboli. TIP: I used to fry 5 eggs at a time in a frying pan, but lately I've been greasing the bottom of a Pyrex and baking a big rectangle of 8-10 eggs.
- Fry up the sausage in crumbles. Set aside.
- Decide if you will use bacon bits or strips of bacon. If you need to cook the bacon, you can put it on a pan at 375 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until desired doneness.
Rolling out and Assembling the Stromboli
- Punch the dough. Pull some dough, knead it a little and roll it out. Make the dough so it is thin but not so thin that it breaks anywhere. You should have a big rectangle that is about 15 or 16 inches wide by about 12 to 13 inches the other way.
- Layer the inside of your Stromboli with delicious breakfast favorites. I usually lay the fried or baked eggs down first. If you don't have enough to cover the whole rectangle, don't worry. It is more important to ensure eggs go all the way across rather than up and down.
- Next, add slices of provolone or your desired cheese.
- Then, lay down your strips of bacon or ham deli slices. If you've opted for diced ham and bacon bits, easier yet - sprinkle everything over the whole rectangle! Be sure to add in the sausage crumbles.
- Sprinkle a little mozzarella at the end as well.
Rolling up & Venting the Stromboli
- Once all your fillings are spread out, start rolling the Stromboli down from top to bottom. It will make a long coil.
- Tuck the ends underneath. Use a little dab of water to secure the ends if needed.
- Use a steak knife to cut diagonal slits about an inch wide all the way across the Stromboli.
- Lightly oil the dough and place the Stromboli on a baking sheet.
Baking the Stromboli
- Bake the Stromboli at 375 degrees for 25 minutes at first. Check for golden brown coloring. Continue cooking until the 30 minute mark unless you believe it to be done sooner. When I get to about 30 minutes, I will cut the Stromboli in half to check the center for doneness. If it looks like it needs more time, get it back in the oven immediately so it can continue to cook.Once done, remove from the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Slice from the slit marks, serve and enjoy!
Freezer Meal Tip: You can slice Stromboli and place it in a gallon zip-seal bag for easy reheating on demand!
Make Ahead Stromboli Tip: Make the breakfast Stromboli at home the day or night before your tailgate. Wrap it in foil and cut slices to grill back to temperature on your tailgate grill.
What to Serve with Breakfast Stromboli
- Hash Browns or Home Fries are delicious with breakfast Stromboli!
- Meat Lover’s Hash Browns would also be amazing.
- Fresh fruit can offer sweetness and balance to the salty and hearty Stromboli.
- Hot Sauce can kick things up a notch.
- Coffee Stoudt and other breakfast flavored beers can be a lovely complement to this morning tailgate dish.
If you liked this post and Breakfast Stromboli Recipe, please share the love on social to help us get the word out there! It’s an awesome tailgating breakfast option.